According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, 26.6% of children and adolescents were diagnosed with a chronic condition in the United States. This means that one in five children today have a chronic illness, with chronic conditions s spreading, it’s more important than ever that we take proper care of our bodies.
While chronic illness can be life altering, the effects of a chronic illness can be diminished by following a healthy lifestyle. It is widely known that 30 minutes of exercise and a balanced diet are necessary ingredients of a healthy lifestyle. What may be less known is that exercise and a balanced diet are suggested by health care professionals for proper control of one’s chronic condition.
Even though these guidelines are well-known they are difficult to implement into a busy family life. The following are some suggestions to start implementing a healthy lifestyle for your family:
- Plan your weekly meals to include fruits and vegetables.
- Have your children go outside and play while you make dinner.
- Keep healthy snacks around the house.
- Have your kids alternate picking the exercise activity for the day.
- Have your kids train for and participate in a family Olympics. The event could include a few families that are your friends.
- Alternate which family member picks the fruit/vegetable for the week at the store.
- If you tend to eat out, reduce the number of times you eat out in a month.
- Pick healthier options when you do eat out. (Pick a sandwich place instead of a pizza place.)
- Find delicious and healthy recipes to make.
Written by: Laura Fillmore