Dating & Serious Relationships
I’d personally love to tell you all about how great all my relationships have been going and what the biggest successes and positive signs are . . . and I’ll still be glad to share. However, I’m coming from a unique perspective at this time. After a pretty serious relationship, I have recently broken up with my boyfriend because we weren’t ready for anything more, so instead of being enveloped in worries and doubts, we decided to stop seeing each other. To sum it up, my heart and dreams were crushed. I had hoped he would choose a different direction and confidently move forward with me one step at a time. But he chose the other route I was afraid of. However, as I’ve now sulked enough, I am recognizing that it was for the best. If he believes there’s someone better out there for me and that right now is not the Lord’s time, then I’ll take it. I know what I want in life and did come close – very…to a life with him. It had quite the potential. But, as I look back on it, I realize that although it very well could have been good, I’m looking for and capable of great. And so are you!
Don’t just settle for good, instead aim for great.
Now, I’ve had my share of experiences and heart breaks but I’m not exactly the most qualified relationship counselor out there. However, I would like to share some general tips and pointers on basic dating and serious relationship perspectives.
- Have confidence, smile everywhere you go, and just be yourself. This is the number one way that you attract a potential friend and date.
- Don’t be afraid to open your mouth and talk, even if it is a simple “hi.” You never know where a simple conversation can go, but more than that, the smile and recognition is priceless.
- Always make these casual dates an adventure. Be yourself, learn from them, laugh and make memories, and don’t worry about where they could go – everything relationship wise happens very naturally, and you definitely don’t have to worry about your future life on the first few dates.
- Have fun. Don’t be afraid to be yourself, relax and enjoy the ride. So many people are focused on the end goal, but enjoy the journey!
- The number one most significant step is communication. Without communication as your foundation, the relationship will not work out for the best. You need to be able to talk to each other about anything and everything. You need to be able to share yourself, your feelings, and your thoughts. Through communication you will be able to open up to each other and share your hearts and build a bond of trust you can never imagine is possible.
- Make sure you set your boundaries and expectations.
- Have time together. Make sure to set aside specific times in your busy schedules and make one another a priority.
- Show them how much you care for them – words of affection, acts of service, surprises, touch, etc. Get to know their needs.
Alright, that’s all the basics I have for today. I just want you all to remember that no matter what happens and where your relationships go or do not go, everything will work out for the best. Someone is out there for you and there are so many blessings that await you. Your potential is so great and powerful. You make a difference and you are capable and worthy of being loved. Your dreams will come true and the great is out there.
Written by Rebekah Day